We offer a variety of short, specialized, and intensive workshops throughout the year, as well as artist collaborations, private teaching sessions and group programs.
Our completely equipped studio enables a papermaker to produce sheets of paper or create art works in handmade paper. Our moulds, vats, felts, vacuum table, hydraulic presses and drying systems are geared to nearly any size work. We have three Hollander beaters for pulp preparation, plus a special mixer for colorants and other additives. There is a set up for Japanese-style papermaking, pulp pouring, and pulp spraying.
An artist collaboration includes:Artist Collaborations
- -A prior consultation concerning the artist’s projects, so that the necessary pulps and supplies can be prepared in advance.
- -Preparation of pulps – beating, coloring, sizing, etc., in accordance with the artist’s specifications.
- -Use of our papermaking equipment.
- -Full-time assistance throughout the day by a member of our staff.
- -Drying of completed work. If finished work has to be shipped to the artist, there is a fee for packing and shipping.
Work hours: 10 am to 4 pm, plus another ½ hour for clean-up.
Fee: $480 for one day; each additional day is $395. Two people may share the studio for $625 for one day: each additional day is $400.
Private Teaching Sessions
We give specialized private sessions on all aspects of papermaking from introductory courses to specific sessions including Japanese papermaking, using the Hollander beater, watermarking, coloring pulp, sculptural papermaking, or any papermaking topic.
Fee: $400 for a five-hour session; $300 for a three-hour session.
We offer specially tailored papermaking programs, which can take the form of a lecture, demonstration, or hands-on sessions, for groups of up to 20 people. The programs can emphasize historical aspects of papermaking, technical procedures, or artistic techniques. A popular program is a one-hour talk and tour of the International Paper Museum, and a one-hour hands-on session. We dry the paper and mail it back the following day. It is also possible to give programs/lectures/workshops at other locations. Kindly contact us for further information.
Fee: $200 per hour.